Claymore

Sep. 7th, 2026 10:46 am
stonepicnicking_okapi: letters (letters)
[personal profile] stonepicnicking_okapi posting in [community profile] 1word1day
clay·more [ˈkleɪmɔː]

noun
1. a broadsword formerly used by Scottish Highlanders, typically double-edged.
2. a type of anti-personnel mine.

examples
1.“I used to like the big sword claymore, but now … now they have to make them all splody and full of — what do you call that stuff, Nemain?” A Dirty Job, Christopher Moore.

2. La Forge was amused to note that where Picard used to have a fish tank, Scotty had a shield and a couple of claymore swords. Star Trek The Next Generation David A. McIntee 2011

origin
Scottish Gaelic claidheamh mór, literally, great sword

claymore

(no subject)

Date: 2026-09-07 11:05 pm (UTC)
thatjustwontbreak: Hawkeye from M*A*S*H* reading in bed (Default)
From: [personal profile] thatjustwontbreak
This is a word that I knew and then forgot so I'm glad you brought it up again. Great visual!
Page generated Sep. 8th, 2026 05:11 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios